This is an update straight from our Haiti Staff.
Project / Programs Currently Running:
- Implementation of the drinking water system
Latest update for the community as a whole:The latest update for the community as a whole is:
Implementation of the drinking water system:
- The implementation of this project begun during the first week of June. The kiosk was built, but the installation of the materials is not yet done.
- We met with the Women’s Association. This was not working, and when I asked why, they said because the woman that was in charge moved to another community. There where only 12 women at the meeting, she promises that she will have another invitation for a meeting because not all the women were informed of this one. They promise to work together for the advancement of the community.
- We met with young people to educate them about the dangers of early pregnancy. More than thirty young people were present. This awareness had a huge impact on them, some young people said they did not know the dangers before this meeting.
- As part of the 2019H-06BB team visit, we met with the LC to work on the itinerary.
- We participated in a jointly organized meeting between Water Mission, 410 bridge, the LC, and the Wash Committee. There were eleven participants. The objective of this meeting was to raise awareness among the LC and the Wash Committee on the importance of drinking water. We have alerted the LC to stay connected with the population for the feasibility of the project.
The US team visiting held three meetings during the visit in the community:
1- The youth of the church
2- The businesswomen
3- Women’s Association
- This activity allows the team a chance to see how to prepare a Haitian dish. The meal we prepared was fried bananas and fish.
Meeting with the LC:
- Before leaving the community, there was an extraordinary meeting between the team and the LC.
- The team understood the problems the members of the community were facing, they took note of all the grievances and promised to pray for them that the Almighty God would do something.
- Before starting with the new water system project, a training session was organized for the Wash committee by the Water Mission team. This session lasted three days in May, the Wash committee is ready for the electronic installation of the management system.
Biggest challenge community is facing if any?
- Two oxen plow:
Plowing is required to work on parcels of land. To do this they need plow oxen that the community doesn’t have. They have to travel miles to find these oxen for allocation, and they are expensive.
2. Community latrines:
Latrines would be useful for the community.
3. Irrigation canals:
We can’t talk about agriculture without water. The farmers in the community have always had problems with water when working. The plains are not irrigated, there is a river, but it is too far away.
4. Professional center:
A professional center would be good for the youth people, they could benefit from a manual trade. For example, a sewing center for girls.
Story of a beneficiary with quote:
- Mr. Alv Jean Charles, President of LC, testifies how useful the drinking water system will be. He is already thanking 410 Bridge for helping the community. He says typhoid, cholera, and diarrhea cases will definitely decrease.
How can we be praying for the community?
- Pray for economic development of the community.
- Pray for Spiritual development.
- Pray for Haiti and the government.